LOS ANGELES — JUNE 28, 2022
Whip Media, the leading enterprise software platform and data provider to the world’s largest entertainment organizations, has just published its new Streaming Satisfaction Report. The survey, based on nearly 2,500 U.S.-based respondents, takes an in-depth look at customer satisfaction with a number of major streaming services, including Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+, Amazon Prime Video and Discovery+.
Ultimately, the report results shine a light on what viewers both like and dislike about the top SVODs – helping provide a clearer picture of the current streaming landscape and highlight emerging industry trends.
The key findings include:
- HBO Max leads the industry in terms of customer satisfaction, with 94% of respondents saying they were “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the service; Netflix, which ranked second overall in 2021, dropped to fourth place in 2022 (with 80%) behind Disney+ (88%) and Hulu (87%)
- Netflix’s decision to increase prices earlier this year was the main reason customers said they canceled their subscription, with 69% saying price hikes led to them leaving the service; overall, Netflix ranks last in the industry in terms of perceived value
- Still, Netflix remains the most indispensable service, with 31% of respondents saying they would keep the service if they could only have 1 SVOD subscription. This was a 10 point drop from 2021, though, while HBO Max and Disney+ both made gains from last year
- Apple TV+ easily made the biggest gains in customer satisfaction in 2022, with a 14 point surge helping it jump ahead of services like Amazon Prime Video, Peacock and Discovery+
“As an industry, we are heavily focused on subscriber counts and market share, but there is less coverage of how consumers perceive the platforms and their offerings,” said Eric Steinberg, Whip Media’s media research and insights lead. “By exploring the satisfaction with specific elements of their product, the platforms, and their suppliers, can understand how to better serve their customers.”
The report also looks at a wide-range of platform characteristics, including the variety and quality of original and library series, movies, user experience, program recommendations and more.
- HBO Max also leads in satisfaction among SVODs for the quality of original content, variety of original content, and the perceived value of the service
- Both Paramount+ and Peacock made modest gains in satisfaction versus last year. Consumers view the quality of Paramount+’s original series on par with Hulu’s. Peacock ranks lower, but its library, fueled by The Office, is a strength for them
- Netflix ranks first for both user experience and suggesting content to subscribers
Whip Media’s report was based on survey responses from 2,460 U.S. TV Time app users (18-54 years old) from April 29 to May 4, 2022.
To access the full Whip Media Streaming Satisfaction Report and charts, click here.
About Whip Media
Whip Media is a market leading enterprise software platform and data provider to the world’s largest entertainment organizations. Our solutions connect and scale data, processes and teams across licensing, content planning, and financial operations to improve decision making, drive efficiency, revenue, and growth. The company’s latest innovation, The Whip Media Exchange, is a first-of-its-kind content licensing and research platform for buyers and sellers of film and TV content, with real-time access to data and performance predictions to accelerate deal making. For more information, visit http://www.whipmedia.com.